Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ceed ceed is offline

Default Wood or lump?

Mike Avery > wrote in
news:mailman.7.1178201208.71438.alt.food.barbecue@ mail.otherwhen.com:

> I use either briquettes or lump to start the fire and then feed it
> wood. I use a wireless BBQ thermometer to track the temp of the smoke
> box and adjust as needed. I'm still in the learning curve, but I am
> keeping the temperature within 25F of where I want it to be, which is
> (to me) a major accomplishment.
>
> As with the R2D2, keep the exhaust valves or flaps wide open, control
> heat using the fuel supply and air intake controls.
>
> Once my charcoal is going, I put a few pieces of wood on the
> charcoal. Once that is going, the smoke box is at temperature and the
> meat goes in.
>
> I find that it helps to turn the wood - only the top side burns.
>
> I don't pre-burn or pre-heat the wood. Some people prefer to do that.
> I am shooting for a fairly smoky taste and don't want to reduce it
> below where it is.
>
> Some people keep a grill going to reduce wood to coals and then shovel
> the coals into the fire box on the offset smoker. I haven't felt a
> need to do that, but your mileage may vary.
>
> Finally, I am leaning more and more towards using a small amount of
> wood that is burning than a larger amount that is smoldering. It
> makes temperature control easier, and reduces the smoking from
> smoldering wood that I don't find helps the taste of the barbecue.
>
> You might look in the barbecue faq for silver smoker hints. Some of
> them might well apply.
>
> Enjoy your new smoker!
> Mike

This is why this group is so great: Here I am getting a crash course in
bbq with a lot of useful information in addition to what I was asking
for. Thank you Mike! And thank you all that has responded in this thread.
I now understand that there's no simple recipe to success here. I will
have to find my way, but that's much easier now with all this advice.

I have a big pile of small pecan logs and on of hickory. I also have a
few bags of lump. No briquettes though. Haven't been using those for
years. Are there quality difference between those these days, or could I
just pick up generic Wal-Mart and be happy?

I have one further question. This smoker has a vent on the actual smoke
box close to the fire, and one on top of the chimney. How should I be
using these? I know I would have to spend a lot of time perfecting my
skills on this new beast. That's why I waitied so long to upgrae from my
cheap bullet smoker which actually kept making decent Q consistently
until it rusted to pieces this spring.

Can't wait to be throwin some brisket and ribs on this weekend!

--
//ceed