Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@ij.net is offline

Default Wood or lump?

On 3-May-2007, Mike Avery >
wrote:

> ceed wrote:
> > So now I wonder when starting using the new one if I
> > should still use lump,
> > or if I should get real wood and burn it down to coals?
> > What's the normal
> > and/or prefered way of doing it with this kind of
> > smoker? One thing I
> > wonder about is how do you re-fuel the thing when using
> > real wood? If you
> > keep adding wood it will burn and increase the
> > temperature. Maybe I should
> > start with real wood and then refuel with lump?
> >

> You'll get as many answers as you get answerers. I have a
> CharBroil
> offset smoker, one of the models that used to be made by
> New Braunfels.

I have an original New Braunfels Silver Smoker. I've been
smoking
with it since may of 2003.

> I use either briquettes or lump to start the fire and then
> feed it
> wood. I use a wireless BBQ thermometer to track the temp
> of the smoke
> box and adjust as needed. I'm still in the learning
> curve, but I am
> keeping the temperature within 25F of where I want it to
> be, which is
> (to me) a major accomplishment.
>
> As with the R2D2, keep the exhaust valves or flaps wide
> open, control
> heat using the fuel supply and air intake controls.
>
> Once my charcoal is going, I put a few pieces of wood on
> the charcoal.
> Once that is going, the smoke box is at temperature and
> the meat goes in.
>
> I find that it helps to turn the wood - only the top side
> burns.
>
> I don't pre-burn or pre-heat the wood. Some people prefer
> to do that.
> I am shooting for a fairly smoky taste and don't want to
> reduce it below
> where it is.

I haver pretty much done all of the things that Mike talks
about. His way works quite well, but is way too much fuss
for an old fart like me to contend with.

> Some people keep a grill going to reduce wood to coals and
> then shovel
> the coals into the fire box on the offset smoker. I
> haven't felt a need
> to do that, but your mileage may vary.
>
> Finally, I am leaning more and more towards using a small
> amount of wood
> that is burning than a larger amount that is smoldering.
> It makes
> temperature control easier, and reduces the smoking from
> smoldering wood
> that I don't find helps the taste of the barbecue.

With my previous in mind, let
me reenforce what Mike says about small lively fire vs large
smoldering fire. The small fire is clean and allows maximum
adjustment of the smoke intensity. But it requires almost
constant
attention The large fire requires minimum fuss, but needs to
run
hotter then desirable in order to minimize creosote
production.

I use the large fire utilizing the minion method. I get it
going good
and burning pretty clean before I put any meat on. I make
smoke
by placing a fairly large chunk (at least fist sized) of
wood directly
on the fire. I DO NOT PRESOAK. I DON'T WANT STEAM AND
I DON'T WANT TAR. I need to tend my fire only every two
hours
or so, sometimes three. I use a lot of fuel, probably a lot
more
then Mike does.

On the upside, my cooking times are much shorter then you
usually read about in this forum. I cook butts in 6 to 8
hours.
Ribs finish in 4 hours or less. Chickens usually finish in
about
2 hours.

My only bonified critics so far have been TFM® and Kili.
Kili
doesn't eat BBQ, so she doesn't count. TFM® didn't say much
either. After I ran out of food, he said he'd be back when I
had
something more then samples to offer. (At least I didn't run
out
of beer).

> You might look in the barbecue faq for silver smoker
> hints. Some of
> them might well apply.
>
> Enjoy your new smoker!
> Mike

I checked out the new Charbroil breed of Silver Smoker just
a few days ago and the local Home Depot. I was really
disappointed with them. No part of the cooker closes tight.
I could see daylight past ever door and cover on the beast.
It exhibits about the poorest fit and finish I've seen yet.
wouldn't have bought a Silver Smoker had Charbroil been
making them when I bought mine. Mine is four years old
now and it's a rust bucket, but it's going strong and who
knows? Maybe I'll blast off some of the rust one day and
refinish it.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)