Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default Wood or lump?

ceed wrote:
> So now I wonder when starting using the new one if I should still use lump,
> or if I should get real wood and burn it down to coals? What's the normal
> and/or prefered way of doing it with this kind of smoker? One thing I
> wonder about is how do you re-fuel the thing when using real wood? If you
> keep adding wood it will burn and increase the temperature. Maybe I should
> start with real wood and then refuel with lump?

You'll get as many answers as you get answerers. I have a CharBroil
offset smoker, one of the models that used to be made by New Braunfels.

I use either briquettes or lump to start the fire and then feed it
wood. I use a wireless BBQ thermometer to track the temp of the smoke
box and adjust as needed. I'm still in the learning curve, but I am
keeping the temperature within 25F of where I want it to be, which is
(to me) a major accomplishment.

As with the R2D2, keep the exhaust valves or flaps wide open, control
heat using the fuel supply and air intake controls.

Once my charcoal is going, I put a few pieces of wood on the charcoal.
Once that is going, the smoke box is at temperature and the meat goes in.

I find that it helps to turn the wood - only the top side burns.

I don't pre-burn or pre-heat the wood. Some people prefer to do that.
I am shooting for a fairly smoky taste and don't want to reduce it below
where it is.

Some people keep a grill going to reduce wood to coals and then shovel
the coals into the fire box on the offset smoker. I haven't felt a need
to do that, but your mileage may vary.

Finally, I am leaning more and more towards using a small amount of wood
that is burning than a larger amount that is smoldering. It makes
temperature control easier, and reduces the smoking from smoldering wood
that I don't find helps the taste of the barbecue.

You might look in the barbecue faq for silver smoker hints. Some of
them might well apply.

Enjoy your new smoker!
Mike