Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ceed ceed is offline

Default Wood or lump?

Hi,

I recently aquired good 'ol cast iron 450 lb smoker which I have restored
(removed rust, replaced wheels, painted etc.). It's one of those with an
off set smoke box on the side. Up to now all my Q has been done in a
Brinkmann R2D2 where I've been using lump and wood chips with good results.

So now I wonder when starting using the new one if I should still use lump,
or if I should get real wood and burn it down to coals? What's the normal
and/or prefered way of doing it with this kind of smoker? One thing I
wonder about is how do you re-fuel the thing when using real wood? If you
keep adding wood it will burn and increase the temperature. Maybe I should
start with real wood and then refuel with lump?

As you can see I'm not in the know when it comes to these kinds of smokers,
and I am not able to find much about it on-line either, so any advices here
would be greatly appreciated.

--
//ceed