Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Regina Schmid Regina Schmid is offline

Default Producing gluten with regular flour

Nick wrote:
> I would appreciate the recipe for making seitan from "regular" flour.
> Thanks.

Producing gluten

Pour 6 cups of cold water into a bowl and add 12 cups of white flour. Knead
for about 5 minutes or until mixture resembles bread dough. Let it rest in
the bowl, covered with cold water, for about 1 hour.*

Dough will be somewhat sticky but does pull away from bowl. Place dough in a
colander in the sink and run a slow, steady stream of cold water over it.

Grab the dough firmly and ring it out like a wet rag. Keep the dough under
the water so that the starch is washed away.

As you continue to rinse and knead the dough it will become runny at some
point. This is okay. It means that the gluten is becoming separated from
the starch. You will be able to feel the gluten part of the mixture. It's
stringy, and naturally wants to form into a ball when you squeeze it.

After you get through the runny stage the gluten will start to form into a
ball. Encourage this by twisting and squeezing more. When you have a ball
and you feel like you are stretching a huge piece of bubble gum, you are
almost there.

Continue to stretch and rinse this gluten ball. This part is actually fun.

Once you get the starch out completely you are done with the rinsing and you
are ready to cook your raw gluten.

*Use this time to prepare the broth (as already posted before):

For this broth I usually cut in tiny pieces and stir-fry in oil an onion and
some cloves of garlic until light brown, then add as strong vegetable broth
from instant powder or cubes, 2 - 3 bay leaves, some cloves, a dried chilli,
ground pepper, salt if necessary, some wine if available, some soy sauce...

In this broth I let the pieces simmer at least for 30 minutes. If you don't
use them immediately for cooking, you can keep them together with the broth
in a jar or plastic bowl with cover for at least one week in the
refrigerator.

Don't throw the broth away. Use it to prepare a tasty sauce to go with the
seitan pieces.

Usually I either cook a "goulash"-like dish with the pieces by adding a tin
of peeled and cut tomatoes (reduce the liquid by cooking to get a thick
sauce) or I make "schnitzel" by covering the larger pieces with egg and
bread crumbs and fry them. With little fresh lemon juice on top, served with
a bavarian style potato salad... delicious! Another recipe is with cut
gherkin and cream for the sauce.

Regina
--
www.archenoah-kreta.com
The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body