Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell Leonard Blaisdell is offline

Default Need recipes to cook horse meat

In article >,
wrote:

> Anyone got any recipes for horse meat? Our neighbors horse died and
> We just went and got the body with our pickup. My hubby is out there
> right now with his chainsaw butchering it. We should be set for
> several months with all the meat from it. I'm looking to do some
> serious cooking, canning and freezing. Need recipes though.

I'd try it like any beef recipe, and I'd start with a slow cooking
method on a roast. I'd cook horse steaks as I would beef steaks unless
and until I realized that wasn't the right thing to do.
If the horse died of old age, it may be tough. If it died of unknown
causes, you may die. I've always wanted to eat horse and never have.
A surefire method for cooking horse after experimenting on whether you
gagged or not on the above advice would be horse chili. Rats, cats,
dogs, kangaroos and lemurs certainly will make good chili. Just let
cooked chili of any kind sit in your refrigerator for twenty four hours
before eating. The meat blends in and it all tastes the same.
Perhaps the above is bad advice, but I'd start with beef recipes.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>