JRKRideau

Default Strange cooking utensils- Fry pan and aluminium boxes

Jenn Ridley > wrote in message >. ..
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
> >JRKRideau wrote:

> >> The other item was, as best I can describe it, two rectangular
> >> aluminum pans, about 3 inches X 4 inches and 1.5 inches deep, hinged
> >> on one side and with handles on each pan (both handles at the same
> >> end). The two pans folded over onto each other but there was no tight
> >> seal. This item left me and the flea market owner totally at a loss.
> >> Any suggestions as to what this could possible be would be
> >> appreciated. BTW, it may not even be a cooking implement, but the
> >> guage of alumiium and the handles looked like typical alluminium
> >> cooking ware

> >This sounds like an omelet pan that is still marketed in the US. The
> >premise is to put some beaten egg in either or both sides, cook it a
> >little and then close the pan to enclose any toppings put on the egg.
> >
> >They are wonderful solutions to problems that don't exist.

> If you're a professional, yeah, it's not a problem. They're not sold
> to prefessionals. They come in quite handy when you're doing
> omelettes for 300. With a kitchen crew that's only in the kitchenn
> twice a year.
>
> The ones we use aren't rectangular, though.
>
> jenn
> (NLUMC Egg Supper, 150 years and counting)

Thanks for all the responses. I was particularly interested in the
omelette pan. I still find it hard to *really*believe someone would
come up with such a strange object but other people around where I
live agree with the Group. So I guess I'm wrong. I even went back to
the flea market yesterday and the owner nodded and said "Well yes, an
omlette pan, that makes sense".

I'll take my old cast iron frying pan any day.

John Kane
Perth ON. Canada