Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Joe[_10_] Joe[_10_] is offline

Default ok to cook on rusty grill?

On Apr 23, 6:16 am, shawn > wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
> > shawn wrote:

> >> Nope, no troll. Ive done it, and you can really re-season them after
> >> a cleanup. Most people don't realize it, but anytime you cook with
> >> Cast Iron anything, it adds a measurable amount of iron to the food.

> > Not quite sure I agree. Of course you can clean CI and re-season it. My
> > reasoning for the "troll" comment was that anyone would even think about
> > cooking on something that was rusted without cleaning it up first. NFW
> > I'm eatin' what they're serving. And I'm still smelling strong troll
> > smells. ;-)

> You mean the OP was troll smelling, and I just fell for it?

I wasn't trolling at all. I have a grill that has rust spots on it and
I am truly interested if people still use them. Replacing the grills
looks like it's going to cost about $50. I also posted a question
about the black soot buildup on my stainless steel pan when using the
attached burner. Is there any trick to reducing the blackening of my
pan?