Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Rick F. Rick F. is offline

Default Cowboy Lump

On 2007-04-24, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2007 16:05:45 GMT, Rick F. wrote:
>
>> I've got about 4-5 boxes left in my original order I did almost a year ago..
>> It's great stuff but I don't use it for certain things -- like pizza cooks
>> where you want REALLY hot coals -- I find the Kamado extruded (CEL) takes too
>> long to come up to temp.. For that I use Royal Oak which seems much faster in
>> my opinion. However, where the Kamado stuff really shines is for low-n-slow
>> cooks -- I can put one box of the stuff in my Kamado #7 and it will EASILY run
>> for 36 hours or longer w/o needing to open it up..

> Is the Kamado stuff charred, or is it just pressed coconut shells?
> Anybody know if it's available in Austin?

It's about as charred as you can get (pure black).. It gives off very little
(if any) flavor of its own which is why you may want to add some smoking wood
to get the flavor you desire.. You can think of Kamado's extruded coconut
product as a heat-source that won't impart flavor/smokiness (IMHO)

> The fact that's marketed by Kamado is almost reason not to buy it,
> no matter how good it is. Just IMO, of course.

I've had good luck and in fact some people are working on getting a pallet of
the stuff shipped out to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area as we speak. I'm not up on
what the status is for that shipment, but frequently there are bulk orders
being setup by a handful of people in a geographic region.. Of course, if you
want to try a box, you might find someone in your area that has one that you
can try for a few $$ to see if you like it..