Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] is offline

Default Custard in muffin tins?

hob wrote:

> "pfoley" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>
>>"hob" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>> I need to make 50 desserts for my party, and I have settled on a

>>"steamed"
>>
>>>coconut cream custard (basic egg-sugar-coconut cream firm custard).
>>> I have done this many desserts each year for many years, but this is

>>the
>>
>>>first custard-in-a-muffin-tin I have tried.
>>>
>>> In order to handle and hold that many servings and to get nicely

> shaped
>
>>>individual servings. I
>>> plan to use several of my muffin tins as the baking dishes.
>>> I also plan to turn the custards out on a cookie sheet and do a light
>>>finish of a lightly gingered corn syrup glaze, under the broiler (on

> the
>
>>>"bottoms" of the tin shape, so the top finish is not important for
>>>appearance) before moving them to the serving plates
>>>
>>>Any hints? Cautions? Tricks?
>>>
>>> First note - several of my tins are enamel-coated metal, but I might

>>choose
>>
>>>to use some of the coated-bakeware tins as well.
>>> Will I get discoloration from the coated bakeware?
>>> Any experience with coating the tins with "PAM" in doing a custard?
>>>
>>>Second note - I plan to put the muffin tins and custard in a jelly-roll

>>pan
>>
>>>of water in the oven to steam-bake the custard - or would it be better

>>>use a steamer?
>>>
>>>Third note - any ideas about time doing custard in muffin tins in the

> oven
>
>>>using the water-pan? In the oven without the water? In a steamer?
>>>
>>>Any insights, information, or experiences would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>=========
>>I am thinking, wouldn't the custards fall apart when removed from the

> muffin
>
>>tin? Wouldn't it be easier to bake the custards in a couple of large

> Pyrex
>
>>baking dishes and cut them into squares?

> A reply to all who have provided input -
>
> I see a common thread that I need some care with the custards possibly
> falling apart when inverted - additonal info:
>
> 1) I am making it in tapered muffin tins rather than in a large pan, to get
> that "inverted flan" look - ( it's kind of a "fancier dinner" dessert). I
> will check out some disposable containers.
>
> Making them the day before and keeping them cold, I had planned to put a
> cookie sheet over four tins worth and flip them over as a unit, and then
> lift the tins off. I can slide each onto the dessert plate with an inverted
> metal spatula once finished (or, if I don't use the broiler, I can finish
> after they are on the plates)
> The cookie sheet thing has worked well for me before, and I can do 48
> desserts in easily under ten minutes, but with other desserts I had prepped
> [...]

Have you considered making paste linings for the muffin tins? i
sometimes use a short paste to line a tin with and then bake a cheese
cake in it.

brioche paste, baba paste, mazarine paste, chou paste, genoise paste all
would be suitable for a custard filling.

An English egg custard could be poured into pre made paste holder and
allowed to cool. There are even specific "flan cases" for custards.
--
JL