Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

Default Custard in muffin tins?

"pfoley" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "hob" > wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I need to make 50 desserts for my party, and I have settled on a

> "steamed"
> > coconut cream custard (basic egg-sugar-coconut cream firm custard).
> > I have done this many desserts each year for many years, but this is

> the
> > first custard-in-a-muffin-tin I have tried.
> >
> > In order to handle and hold that many servings and to get nicely

shaped
> > individual servings. I
> > plan to use several of my muffin tins as the baking dishes.
> > I also plan to turn the custards out on a cookie sheet and do a light
> > finish of a lightly gingered corn syrup glaze, under the broiler (on

the
> > "bottoms" of the tin shape, so the top finish is not important for
> > appearance) before moving them to the serving plates
> >
> > Any hints? Cautions? Tricks?
> >
> > First note - several of my tins are enamel-coated metal, but I might

> choose
> > to use some of the coated-bakeware tins as well.
> > Will I get discoloration from the coated bakeware?
> > Any experience with coating the tins with "PAM" in doing a custard?
> >
> > Second note - I plan to put the muffin tins and custard in a jelly-roll

> pan
> > of water in the oven to steam-bake the custard - or would it be better

> > use a steamer?
> >
> > Third note - any ideas about time doing custard in muffin tins in the

oven
> > using the water-pan? In the oven without the water? In a steamer?
> >
> > Any insights, information, or experiences would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks

> =========
> I am thinking, wouldn't the custards fall apart when removed from the

muffin
> tin? Wouldn't it be easier to bake the custards in a couple of large

Pyrex
> baking dishes and cut them into squares?

A reply to all who have provided input -

I see a common thread that I need some care with the custards possibly
falling apart when inverted - additonal info:

1) I am making it in tapered muffin tins rather than in a large pan, to get
that "inverted flan" look - ( it's kind of a "fancier dinner" dessert). I
will check out some disposable containers.

Making them the day before and keeping them cold, I had planned to put a
cookie sheet over four tins worth and flip them over as a unit, and then
lift the tins off. I can slide each onto the dessert plate with an inverted
metal spatula once finished (or, if I don't use the broiler, I can finish
after they are on the plates)
The cookie sheet thing has worked well for me before, and I can do 48
desserts in easily under ten minutes, but with other desserts I had prepped
the insides of the tin for easy release. I am not sure how well custard
releases.

2) I understand that the coconut cream custard recipe I am using is an
asian custard, firmer than the soft french custards.

So I will make a test run -

I was hoping for some feedback on time and temperature for custards done in
small containers like a muffin tin size amount... ??