Charles Gifford

Default OT: With recipe Was: Chili con Queso

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> And the German as well. Then of course the Scot could have Norse
> ancestry in there too, as could most of the Irish side.

Well yes. Rape and pillage and all that. However the Normans were Norse by
definition. You and I are probably some degree of cousins! ;-)

Charlie

For being patient with me, here is a really wonderful recipe for birria that
was posted to rec.food.cooking 5 years ago. I really enjoy it.

BIRRIA

Posted by: Richard Thead, rfc, 16MAR98
Recipe by: A lady who ran a burrito truck in Tucson, AZ; translated by
Richard
Gently rewritten by Charlie

2 lbs. chuck roast
2 bay leaves
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1/2 head garlic, peeled
black peppercorns
water as needed
3 tsp. chili powder or powdered red chile
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Place first five ingredients in a Dutch oven and add water just to cover.
Bring to a boil, cover, and place in a 325F oven for 2 hours, or until very
tender. Remove the meat and strain broth, discarding the solids. Remove the
excess fat from the broth and return it to the pot. Add the chili powder (or
powdered chile), cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Remove any fat on the beef
and discard. Cut meat into 1-inch or so chunks. It should pull apart easily.
Return meat to seasoned broth and barely simmer, covered, for an hour. When
serving, remove meat with tongs.

RICHARD'S NOTES: This is one of those dishes that has a traditional version
and then the one that is made by everyday cooks. If you look at the standard
recipe in most books, it calls for mutton and is served more like a soup.

Here in Tucson, only a few restaurants offer it. The best is at the
"Birrieria Guadalajara", a converted root beer stand on the south side.
Whenever I eat there, I'm always amazed that it manages to pass health
inspection.

This recipe came from a lady who ran a burrito truck near where I worked.
When she wrote it out for me it was entirely in Spanish. It is Jaliscan in
origin and approachable by any cook. The ingredients are found in just about
any grocery store.

The result is a very tender meat that is good wrapped in soft corn tortillas
or in burritos. Toppings can include shredded cabbage, grated carrot, onion,
tomato and cilantro. To spice it up, the last three toppings can be replaced
by a good pico de gallo. My favorite salsa for it is a fiery concoction made
with chile de arbol.