Old 22-04-2007, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Walt Fles Walt Fles is offline

Default fool proof chicken wings

adm wrote:
wrote in message
. ..
On 20-Apr-2007, "adm" wrote:

"skeeter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Group,
I want to do the following: Take whole chicken wings
(not separate
them - let the eater do that) and fold them locking the
"arm" against
the body, marinate them and smoke them. I'm thinking
something like
zesty Italian dressing should give them some nice zing
and help keep
the moisture in, and just use ROC (maybe a little oak or
apple sawdust
to help keep the heat going). Does that sound like a
pretty good plan
for doing them fool proof? How about time about 2 hours
if it does not
get that hot?

thanks in advance!
Well.....it ain't barbecue - or even grilling for that
matter, but my recipe
for foolproof (buffalo style) chicken wings is to marinade
them in a mixture
of Blue Dragon hot sauce and melted butter, then deep fry
them.....it makes
a mess of the oil, but it makes for great wings!

To be honest, I haven't had much luck with smoking wings
even though I have
tried many times - the skin tends to come out too rubbery
and I like mine
crispy. Grilling at higher temperatures works better, but
deep frying gives
the best results in my opinion.

Deep fry is the preferred method at my house as well. How-
ever, I fry wings naked rather then marinated. While they're
fresh from the fryer, I toss them in a mixture of Crystal
Hot
Sauce and butter, then salt them liberally. When nobody is
looking I like to bolster the Crystal sauce with something
a little hotter. Lately, I've been grilling wings on my
little
Farberware electric grill, then treat them the same as
fried.
(I'm too lazy to mess with a gallon of oil for only a half
dozen or so wings.)

--
Brick(Breaking in a new upright freezer)

I forgot to mention that once they're cooked, I toss'em in more hot sauce
and butter.

I'm going to give your method a go as marinated wings just destroy the oil
for any further use.

Mind you, I like the crispy fried hot sauce flavour.

I'm also with you on not frying just a few - too much mess and waste oil. I
tend to do them when we have a lot of people over and do several pounds at a
time.

The wings turned out quite well just the usual dark skin from the smoke,
and slightly pink from the smoke. The smoke flavor was not too harsh
with slight flavor from me adding Box Elder wood (and sawdust). The
smoker is working quite well with using good (ROC) hardwood charcoal.

Next week I think might be time to use the gas for steaks and/or
burgers. A bit boring compared to smoking, but given my personal
schedule it might be a bit easier to manage.