Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Walt Fles Walt Fles is offline

Default fool proof chicken wings

adm wrote:
> > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On 20-Apr-2007, "adm" > wrote:
>>
>>> "skeeter" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Well.....it ain't barbecue - or even grilling for that
>>> matter, but my recipe
>>> for foolproof (buffalo style) chicken wings is to marinade
>>> them in a mixture
>>> of Blue Dragon hot sauce and melted butter, then deep fry
>>> them.....it makes
>>> a mess of the oil, but it makes for great wings!
>>>
>>> To be honest, I haven't had much luck with smoking wings
>>> even though I have
>>> tried many times - the skin tends to come out too rubbery
>>> and I like mine
>>> crispy. Grilling at higher temperatures works better, but
>>> deep frying gives
>>> the best results in my opinion.

>> Deep fry is the preferred method at my house as well. How-
>> ever, I fry wings naked rather then marinated. While they're
>> fresh from the fryer, I toss them in a mixture of Crystal
>> Hot
>> Sauce and butter, then salt them liberally. When nobody is
>> looking I like to bolster the Crystal sauce with something
>> a little hotter. Lately, I've been grilling wings on my
>> little
>> Farberware electric grill, then treat them the same as
>> fried.
>> (I'm too lazy to mess with a gallon of oil for only a half
>> dozen or so wings.)
>>
>> --
>> Brick(Breaking in a new upright freezer)

> I forgot to mention that once they're cooked, I toss'em in more hot sauce
> and butter.
>
> I'm going to give your method a go as marinated wings just destroy the oil
> for any further use.
>
> Mind you, I like the crispy fried hot sauce flavour.
>
> I'm also with you on not frying just a few - too much mess and waste oil. I
> tend to do them when we have a lot of people over and do several pounds at a
> time.

The wings turned out quite well just the usual dark skin from the smoke,
and slightly pink from the smoke. The smoke flavor was not too harsh
with slight flavor from me adding Box Elder wood (and sawdust). The
smoker is working quite well with using good (ROC) hardwood charcoal.

Next week I think might be time to use the gas for steaks and/or
burgers. A bit boring compared to smoking, but given my personal
schedule it might be a bit easier to manage.