Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@ij.net is offline

Default fool proof chicken wings

On 20-Apr-2007, "adm" > wrote:

> "skeeter" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Group,
> > I want to do the following: Take whole chicken wings
> > (not separate
> > them - let the eater do that) and fold them locking the
> > "arm" against
> > the body, marinate them and smoke them. I'm thinking
> > something like
> > zesty Italian dressing should give them some nice zing
> > and help keep
> > the moisture in, and just use ROC (maybe a little oak or
> > apple sawdust
> > to help keep the heat going). Does that sound like a
> > pretty good plan
> > for doing them fool proof? How about time about 2 hours
> > if it does not
> > get that hot?
> >
> > thanks in advance!

> Well.....it ain't barbecue - or even grilling for that
> matter, but my recipe
> for foolproof (buffalo style) chicken wings is to marinade
> them in a mixture
> of Blue Dragon hot sauce and melted butter, then deep fry
> them.....it makes
> a mess of the oil, but it makes for great wings!
>
> To be honest, I haven't had much luck with smoking wings
> even though I have
> tried many times - the skin tends to come out too rubbery
> and I like mine
> crispy. Grilling at higher temperatures works better, but
> deep frying gives
> the best results in my opinion.

Deep fry is the preferred method at my house as well. How-
ever, I fry wings naked rather then marinated. While they're
fresh from the fryer, I toss them in a mixture of Crystal
Hot
Sauce and butter, then salt them liberally. When nobody is
looking I like to bolster the Crystal sauce with something
a little hotter. Lately, I've been grilling wings on my
little
Farberware electric grill, then treat them the same as
fried.
(I'm too lazy to mess with a gallon of oil for only a half
dozen or so wings.)

--
Brick(Breaking in a new upright freezer)