Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 1982 Bordeaux at Park Ave Cafe

Matt Richman called for an offline of 1982s, I was happy that he aimed
midlevel, as I wouldn't have been able to come up with an entrant if
he was going for the Firsts, LLC, P-lalande, etc. We had a great
lineup of respected Bordeaux. Arv Rao arranged for dinner at the Park
Avenue Cafe, they did a nice job. I enjoyed my cavatelli with black
truffle & mushrooms, and my main course of braised shortribs and filet
mignon. Sides were especially good- French fries with truffle mayo,
sauteed wild mushrooms, creamed potatoes, asparagus. PAC does no
corkage if not on their list.

The starters:

NV Henriot "Souverain" Champagne
Warm apple fruit, very bready. Fairly full-bodied, but with zippy
acidity, I like a lot. A-/B+

Mystery white starter
Oak overlying sweet apple fruit, this is in a Bordeaux-shaped bottle
and I ask Matt if he switched bottles, as I'm thinking Chardonnay.
Nope, it's the 2003 Vergelegen (Stellenbosch), which Matt says is
blend of white Bdx varietals (I'd guess heavily weighted towards
Semillon). A bit too oaky for me, but nice fruit B/B-

On to the reds, most in flights of 2 (as I've noted before, I'm not a
consistent grader, probably all of these but 1 would have gotten an A
or A- at my dinner table, but I spread it out to show the mostly
minute differences in how much I liked):

1982 Ch. Pavie (St Emilion)
I liked this a bit more from a past bottle, this is herby with some
still raspy tannins. Nice Bordeaux earth, but a bit underripe feeling
(I hadn't felt that before) B-

1982 Ch. Le Bon Pasteur (Pomerol)
Not as lush as say the '90, but pretty medium-bodied Pomerol with
sweet black plum fruit and a little cocoa. B+

We voted on each flight, LBP carried this one 9-2

1982 Ch. Magdelaine (St Emilion)
A little funky at first, but settles in nicely. More acidity than most
wines tonight, I found this rather elegant. Red plum and currant
fruit, tobacco and cedar, fine length. A-

1982 Ch. Figeac (St Emilion)
Also good acidity, very bright and young. Red fruit with just a
(Pleasant) hint of green pepper, good length, very nice. B+/A-

Figeac edges Magdelaine, 6-5

1982 Ch. Sociando Mallet (Haut-Medoc)
Also a touch of initial funkiness (though this one was in decanter a
while due to a cork crumble), but finds its stride. A little more
mature than the mag we had last year, but not at all old. Dark brambly
sweet fruit, cigarbox, a bit of herbs and smoke. A-

1982 Ch. Talbot (St Julien)
Rich creamy texture, a touch of Cordier funk, sweet fruit, nice wine
but not as complex as the stars. Thought it very Merlot for a
traditional Medoc estate. This is one 1982 I like a bit less than its
1986 counterpart. B+

SM by a hair, 6-5

1982 Ch.Leoville Barton (St Emilion)
Big and rich, great length. Deep dark fruit, complex aromas of forest
floor and cigarbox, best showing I've seen of this. A

1982 Ch. Leoville Poyferre (St Emilion)
Lovely sweet cassis fruit, tobacco, earth. Nice length. A-

Barton ahead 7-4

1982 Ch. Pichon Baron (Pauillac)
Nose of cocoa and earth, big and dense on the palate, young- I mean
young. Lovely bruiser of a wine. A

1982 Ch. Grand Puy Lacoste (Pauillac)
Sweet fruit, nice pencil shaving notes, just not as long as its
flightmates. Could easily be WOTN with other lineups. B/B+

1982 Ch. Lynch-Bages (Pauillac)
Good nose of earth and cedar, lovely blackcurrant fruit, fresh and
young.
A-

In 3 way vote Lynch Bages got 6, the Baron 4, and GPL 1.

1982 Martinez Vintage Port
Decanted before dinner, an ok Port from a year few declared. Lighter
body and texture, warm red fruit, moderate sweetness. B

Top vote getters (3,2,1 system) for WOTN were Leoville Barton (21
votes), Lynch Bages (15 votes), Leoville Poyferre (12 votes), and
Pichon Baron (11 votes).

Excellent lineup, nice group of winegeeks, good food, fun night.
Thanks to Matt and Arv for their work.