A R Whitaker

Default Sugar orange - English treat?

A book written and set in England in the 1930s mentions someone
ordering an orange and adorning it with sugar. Later she spoons juice
out of it. One other person is mentioned as having the same treat.
I'm guessing that the orange is halved and sprinkled with sugar,
because I've often eaten grapefruit that way, with a specially pointed
spoon for extracting the pulp.
The part that makes me hesitate is that the eaters are referred
to as spooning out the juice - just the juice, not the pulp. We
spooned up the grapefruit pulp, then picked up the rind and squeezed
the remaining juice into the spoon.
Does anyone recognize this treat? (I'm inquiring in connection
with a project involving food in literature.)