Frogleg

Default Lobster

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 23:15:47 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Lazarus Cooke wrote:
>
>> In article <tdJ8c.9281$JO3.15250@attbi_s04>, Mark Zanger
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>All molds were thought to be safe, if not always pleasant, until the
>>>discovery of the deadly carcinogenic afflotoxin molds on peanuts a few years
>>>back.
>>>
>>>Of course, some people are allergic to molds.

>> Thanks mark. My understanding is still that all moulds with the
>> exception of peanut are consdered safe.

>Ergot on rye?

Yes.

"Ergot, caused by the fungus Claviceps purpurea, is a disease of
cereal crops and grasses....Human poisoning was common in Europe in
the Middle Ages when ergoty rye bread was often consumed."

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...ops/pp551w.htm

Ergotamine is an abortifacient and a vaso-constrictor. Ergotamine
tartrate is the primary ingredient of LSD. Ergot poisoning from a
large dose includes convulsions, halucinations and bizarre behaviour.
Smaller repeated doses may result in gangrene.