Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

Karen > wrote:

> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?
>
> Chopsticks are disposable, which impacts the environment and uses up
> trees.

In the western society - the Chinese restaurant part of it - most
chopsticks are made of plastic. In Korean restaurants, metal chopsticks
are usual.

> They're ancient.

A lot of good things are.

> You can't cut up a piece of teriyaki chicken

They are supposed to be served already cut small enough.

> or a big piece of sushi
> with chopsticks.

Sushi pieces aren't supposed to be that big. Besides, traditionally,
sushi have always been picked up with fingers. Using chopsticks is
usual, too, but is a relatively new-fangled custom.

> You can't scoop up the soup with a chopstick.

Why would you want to? Solids are eaten with chopsticks; liquid is
supposed to be sipped straight from the bowl.

> You
> can't spear anything with a chopstick.

You do not have to. The food is nearly always cut in small pieces.

> It seems that modern utensils
> make more sense but we still use chopsticks.

Make sense where, when, to whom, and with what food? Western food has
long become rather popular in major Asian cities and it is almost
invariably eaten using knives, forks and spoons there, too.

> And, some of us aren't very good at using them, either. (me)

There, you have it, finally. :-)

Me, I come from a culture probably the least familiar with chopsticks,
yet I have learned to use them reasonably well a long time ago and in
fact, do use them nearly every day, sometimes even with foods totally
usuitable. The other day, I cooked Nürnberger Rostbratwürstchen with
sauerkraut and used chopsticks to lift the Würstchen out of the pan and
place them onto a plate.

> Is
> considered that eating with chopsticks tidier than eating with a knife
> and fork? It seems less tidy to me and some slurping and splattering
> occurs in the course of using chopsticks.

Once you have learned to use them well enough, it is just as tidy as
expertly using knife and fork. If you have not learned to use knife and
fork - and especially spoon - slurping and splattering will occur, too.
Also, slurping is not necessarily the result of using chopsticks, as it
is a part of Chinese and Japanese culture and is supposed to demonstrate
enjoyment and appreciation.

> Why aren't chopsticks being phased out? Why do we use chopsticks for
> certain types of food?

Because they are a part of a larger food culture, one that prepares food
for which chopsticks are peculiarly appropriate.

> Do they make food taste better?

Yes, invariably, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Japanese food tastes
better when eaten with chopsticks. I do not know why, but it really
does.

Victor

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.