Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen[_3_] Karen[_3_] is offline

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

On Apr 19, 2:26 pm, Serene-y the Meanie >
wrote:
> So are hands. I'm not doing away with mine any time soon.

Another good example. Utensils were invented so that people could stop
eating with their hands, especially in western society.

But, something are definitely still eaten with hands... like
sandwiches, or French fries.

> Maybe you can't. I can, and so can all the Japanese people I had the
> good fortune to eat with in Tokyo for three weeks this past summer.

Well, Tokyo is certainly an area where the trend is to keep the
chopsticks. But, I am wondering why hasn't the fork, spoon and knife
caught on in Japan?

Aren't those utensils more efficient?

It must be so that chopsticks are more efficient than other utensils
for some people. If that is so, are chopsticks used exclusively, for
example, eating a baked potato in Japan?

> If you don't like them, no one's saying you should use them, but
> personally, they seem really comfortable for me to use, and I like them.

Keeping individual personalities aside, why do you like them and do
you like them for only certain foods?

Karen