Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene-y the Meanie Serene-y the Meanie is offline

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

Karen wrote:
> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?
>
> Chopsticks are disposable, which impacts the environment and uses up
> trees.

Mine aren't. I keep my washable, non-disposable chopsticks in the
silverware drawer.

> They're ancient.

So are hands. I'm not doing away with mine any time soon.

> You can't cut up a piece of teriyaki chicken or a big piece of sushi
> with chopsticks.

Maybe you can't. I can, and so can all the Japanese people I had the
good fortune to eat with in Tokyo for three weeks this past summer.

> You can't scoop up the soup with a chopstick.

Use a spoon? Drink from the bowl?

If you don't like them, no one's saying you should use them, but
personally, they seem really comfortable for me to use, and I like them.

serene