Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

Sheldon wrote:
> Karen > wrote:
>> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
>> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?
>>
>> Chopsticks are disposable, which impacts the environment and uses up
>> trees.

> The vast majority of chopsticks are made of bamboo. Bamboo grows
> faster than 10 billion Asians eating at the speed of light can use up
> chopsticks. If not for chopsticks and Asians this planet would be
> hurtling through space looking like a giant bambo quilled porcupine.
>
> Sheldon

ROFL!! Funny but true! We had a bamboo "grove" next to the driveway in
Bangkok. When we arrived it was fairly short, maybe 5 feet tall. By the
time we left 2 years later it was reaching for the stars and had expanded to
hide a number of wild animials without a problem. Enter the neighbors' pet
chimpanzee, which was a really bad idea!

It got away from them, hopped the 6 foot fence via the trees and wound up in
our bamboo. The neighbor (Jim) broke his arm trying to get the dang chimp.

OB Food: We also had a starfruit tree. Pretty fruit, but quite tart.

Jill