Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindy Hamilton Cindy Hamilton is offline

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

On Apr 19, 4:24 pm, Karen > wrote:
> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?

Because they work.

> Chopsticks are disposable, which impacts the environment and uses up
> trees.

Not all chopsticks are disposable. I often get steel
chopsticks in Korean restaurants.

> They're ancient.

Well, so am I; I'll pretend you said that with admiration.

> You can't cut up a piece of teriyaki chicken or a big piece of sushi
> with chopsticks.

Teriyaki chicken should be cut into strips after cooking
and before serving; perhaps your Japanese restaurant
isn't up to par.

>You can't scoop up the soup with a chopstick. You
> can't spear anything with a chopstick.

You can't scoop up soup with a fork, either. If you
need to spear something when eating with chopsticks,
you're doing something wrong. I can handle a salmon
filet with chopsticks.

>It seems that modern utensils
> make more sense but we still use chopsticks.
>
> And, some of us aren't very good at using them, either. (me)

Well, don't use them, then. Ask for silverware.

>Is
> considered that eating with chopsticks tidier than eating with a knife
> and fork? It seems less tidy to me and some slurping and splattering
> occurs in the course of using chopsticks.

It can be as tidy if you are skillful with them.

> Why aren't chopsticks being phased out? Why do we use chopsticks for
> certain types of food?
>
> Do they make food taste better? Is the slender chopstick able to place
> the food on the tongue in a location that may enhance the flavor?

I suppose you avoid the taste of metal (with wooden or
bamboo chopsticks, of course).

Cindy Hamilton