Henriette Kress

Default Did Coca-Cola have cocaine in it?

Calarachne wrote:

> Is it true that Coca-Cola originally had cocaine in it?

Yes. The name is an important clue:
Coca - coca bush (contains cocaine)
Cola - cola nut (contains coffeine)

And I've heard (not even all that long ago) that Coca cola still
imports decocaine'd coca leaves by the tonne, to include in the
making of coca cola.

The taste of coca cola is mainly citrus, cinnamon and vanilla.

Cola nut tastes almost (but not quite) like cacao; cola nut fudge is
just yum.

> And how does the shape of the original bottle hint at that?

I don't think it does. The fruit of cacao has longitudinal ridges
in it, but there's no cacao in coca cola. AFAIK of course; I've seen
an ingredient list (not a recipe) but it's been a while.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG * * * * * * * * * * *Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed