Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

Default Hard-boiled eggs - how do you tell if they're bad

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:12:06 +0200, ravenlynne >
magnanimously proffered:

>bob wrote:
>> The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
>> then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
>> small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
>> makes the eggs easy to peel.

>Because I suck at standing there waiting for water to boil, I usually
>just put them in a pot, cover with water, and put them on the stove...I
>hit the timer for 25 minutes and go away. They're almost always
>perfectly buttery yellow..no gray green stuff. Maybe I've just been
>lucky. I may try your way next time.

Hummm ... think I'll give your way a go, especially now that we've got
one of those digital timers instead of one of the good ol' untrusty
mechanical versions that only seem to last around two years before
packing up.

>> Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
>> in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
>> we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
>> looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
>> more than a day.

>I eat them within a week or toss. I worry excessively about lower
>intenstinal issues. After 3 days or so, I usually make deviled eggs with
>them and they go almost instantly that way anyway.

I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...