Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ravenlynne Ravenlynne is offline

Default Hard-boiled eggs - how do you tell if they're bad

bob wrote:
> The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
> then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
> small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
> makes the eggs easy to peel.

Because I suck at standing there waiting for water to boil, I usually
just put them in a pot, cover with water, and put them on the stove...I
hit the timer for 25 minutes and go away. They're almost always
perfectly buttery yellow..no gray green stuff. Maybe I've just been
lucky. I may try your way next time.

> Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
> in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
> we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
> looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
> more than a day.

I eat them within a week or toss. I worry excessively about lower
intenstinal issues. After 3 days or so, I usually make deviled eggs with
them and they go almost instantly that way anyway.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden