Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert Ray  Calvert is offline

Default Synthetic corks and a refrigerator

Hmmm. Here is a totally different approach. I have not used it but in your
situation it might well work.

For only 1 or 2 years, the proper temperature is probably not that
important. The main probelm with storring at too high of a temerature is
that the wine will age too quickly. That can be a seriour problem over 5+
years but probably not for your period. It is also less of a problem if you
sore in bulk as bulk storage averages out day/night temperature swings. S

o here is what I would suggest. Do not bottle in the traditional manner at
all. Instead, store in 1 gallon jugs. Then get a batch of those plastic
bag, wine in a box type things. They are used extensively in Australia and
they really work very nicely. Get the ones good for 1 gallon. When you
rack off a batch of wine, put most of it in gallon jugs and put one gallon
in the bag for your fridge. These things should keep your wine for 6 months
or so. Just drink it up in that time. You see where I am going. You could
store 1 gallon at a time of each wine you make in the fridge so you can have
a glass of anything you want any time you want without opening a whole
bottle. Have a glass of 5 different wines in an evening if you want without
worrying about leftovers. It will not oxydise as it is never exposed to the
air. As a gallon is used up, rinse the bag and refill it from the gallon
jugs of the same wine.

Just a suggestion and one that I would consider. I am going to set up a
wine room in my new house this year and may well set up such a system.

Ray

ups.com...