Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pierre[_1_] Pierre[_1_] is offline

Default 1.5" thick T-Bones... best way...

On Apr 17, 12:51 pm, "43fan" > wrote:
> to cook? My thoughts, the grill. Sister in law bought 'em, and thinking of
> frying them!
>
> Anyway, in all honesty, I've never done a steak that thick on the grill,
> kinda curious as to roughly how long for medium rare? Yeah, I know, it's
> done when it's done. But on a gas grill, any thoughts as to an approx.
> time? I figure I should be able to get real good grill marks on 'em.
>
> Nothing outrageous in seasoning either... salt, pepper, garlic and onion
> powder, probably about it.

This works for me.
Preheat one side of the grill to 600° (hot). You should have a cooler
side, with minimal direct heat. Take the room temp steaks place on
hot side of the grill until it losens its grip on the grill, about
1-1/2 mins, rotate 45° (no flipping yet.)
Give it 2 more minutes, or until the blood begins to poke through the
top, whichever occurs first. Flip.

Repeat 1-1/2 minutes; rotate 45° (this creates nice grill marks),
another 1-1/2 minutes and place the steaks off to the cooler side of
the grill.

Allow to heat through until done, or until the blood just starts
coming to the top. Remove to a platter, and allow to rest for 5
minutes before cutting to allow the juices to redistribute thruout the
steaks. Have a beer. What can I bring?

Pierre