Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit Karen AKA Kajikit is offline

Default Last nights dinner - vegetable soup... tonight's dinner - vegetable stew!

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 00:54:36 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>> Yesterday the weather was just miserable... blowing a gale and
>> threatening to storm all day... most un-Floridalike (there was even a
>> tornado watch all day!) So I made a pot of vegetable and rice soup for
>> dinner. It was a little bland but nice and comforting with some fresh
>> bread and ham...
>> I thought I had plenty of liquid in it, but tonight I went to grab a
>> bowl of the leftovers, and it had thickened up so much in the fridge
>> that it was vegetable stew!
>>
>> The question now is what can I do to revive it or make it more
>> appealing to DH so I'm not stuck eating it for the rest of the week...
>> he was happy to eat the soup but he refused the stew point-blank.

>My question is the same as Janet's; had you reheated it yet? If it was
>homemade stock it does gel when chilled and thins out when reheated.
>
>My other question is, why would DH refuse to eat stew? There's really no
>difference except one is thicker. Is it a texture thing? I much prefer
>vegetable (or vegetable beef) stew over the soup, and I'm a soupaholic!

He doesn't like stews of any description... I don't know why - it's
just one of his little quirks. He doesn't much like eating leftovers
either, so I can see a LOT of stew in my immediate future! I think
I'll cook up some chicken breast and add that and just call it
chicken-and-rice... we don't have any stock on hand right now to thin
it out. (it was self-stocking vegetable soup... elderly fresh
tomatoes, carrot, potato, onion, celery, a can of sweetcorn and some
brown rice, with seasonings of course.)