Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: Bordeaux wine with Latin food?

On Apr 16, 10:15 am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> On Apr 15, 9:52?am, "DaleW" > wrote:
>

> > Bill & Jan Johnson fromTexas stopped through NY on their way to
> > Scotland, and Arv organized a welcoming dinner. Near-panic ensued when
> > a week or two before the night the restaurant where we had
> > reservations decided to close for a private party. Corkage deals for
> > groups of 10 on Saturdays are hard. But Arv resolutely worked with the
> > restaurant management, which arranged for us to get the same deal at
> > their sister restaurant, Calle Ocho.

> > A very convivial group (though as always, I mainly talked to my end of
> > the table- a rather loud space) and a fun evening. The food was good,
> > though Nuevo Latino is a hard match for Bordeaux. The waiters clearly
> > weren't used to working with wine geeks (mojitos seem to be more the
> > house style), but tried. I had a good time, and enjoyed the company
> > and wines:

> > 1999 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
> > Pre-ox rears its ugly head. This wasn't totally ruined, but I would
> > have guessed 15-20 years old from the nose. Light maderized notes,
> > apples and honeysuckle, good acidity. You can feel the class and verve
> > underneath the oxidation notes, but overall a disappointment. C+

> > 2002 Pierre Matrot "Chalumeaux" Puligny-Montrachet
> > Pear fruit with a spicy edge, good acidity but with a very broad
> > Meursault-ish texture. I revisited late in the evening and found it
> > more Puligny-ish, with long mineral finish and some light mushroom
> > notes. I liked a lot. But even this young wine has had some pre-ox
> > reports. My current plan for white Burgs is to drink young, and to
> > concentrate my buying on less expensive ones and drinking them early
> > (Matrot Bourgone to substitute for Meursault, Pernot Bourgogne for
> > Puligny, and Clair St Aubin to fill in edges). B+/A-

> > 1970 La Lagune (Haut-Medoc)
> > This is doing just fine,thank you very much. Pretty red berry fruit, a
> > real deep ferric streak on finish. Holds up fine for couple hours. B+

> > 1981 Lafite-Rothschild (Pauillac)
> > Darker fruit, though not weighty. Attractive cedar and pencil notes,
> > smooth and resolved, a nice wine on the elegant side. A-

> > 1982 La Conseillante (Pomerol)
> > I had just tasted some of the appetizers, between a lobster ceviche
> > and some pepper-laden dishes I was having trouble getting a fix on
> > this flight. But with about 14 glasses of water and some bread I was
> > able to taste, and was glad I did. Beautiful black plum and cassis
> > fruit, big nose of cigarbox. Got better and better through ?night,
> > sweet fruit but with balance and structure. No fading here. A/A-

> > 1982 La Tour Martillac (Graves)
> > Like the Conseillante, hard to get a handle on at first. Revisited it
> > showed rather typical lush '82 fruit, but without the depth and
> > structure of the Pomerol. Nice enough wine for the dinner table, but
> > outclassed here. B/B-

> > 2004 Martinet (St. Emilion)
> > Grapey and primary, a ?pleasant innocuous young wine. Probably held my
> [...]

Which was your WOTN? I've had the Cos recently but I've never had the
'82 Conseillente. I do aredd with your notes on the Gruaud but within
our group we had a bit of an argument regarding the status of "flawed,
funky or foul". It wasn't cork taint but it didn't seem clean to me.