Bob

Default Oysters

ASmith1946 wrote:

> Like so many other foods, oysters are supposedly aphrodesiacs (I've tried them,
> and they did work for me, but perhaps some of you have different experiences?).
>
> Is this a 20th century invention or historically were oysters considered
> aphrodesiacs? Does this go back to the humoral system of medicine?

It goes back to the appearance of so many bivalves, mussels being the
most obvious. They resemble labia with a small protrusion peeking out
from between the "lips."

In early 20th century Sicilian vulgar street talk, the name for
mussels and vagina were the same. They were prized in my grandfather's
house for their aphrodisiac qualities (and never called by name when
the women were present). It is my personal belief that it's a
wonderful example and wonderful result of the placebo effect.

Pastorio