Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Lawrence Akutagawa Lawrence Akutagawa is offline

Default More Weber: The New Performer vs. the Old Performer

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Lawrence Akutagawa" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>> My most used grill is my Weber Performer, which has the 22" round bowl
>>> coupled to
>>> a lighter fueled by a 5lb refillable propane tank. It makes the charcoal
>>> grill as easy to use as the gas grill.
>>> One tank filling, if used judiciously[five minutes to light charcoal],
>>> will last all summer.
>>> Weber has replaced this with a disposable propane bottle which will
>>> light 10-12 times.
>>> That, for me, would totally remove the appeal of the product.
>>> If you're thinking of a Weber Performer, run, don't walk, and try to
>>> find the discontinued model.
>>> Needless to say, I went looking for grills today.

>> hmmm...couldn't you simply acquire the right fittings and hose so as to
>> replace that disposable propane bottle with your 5 lb refillable propane
>> tank? Added cost, yes...but then you'd have your lighter fuel source of
>> choice.
>>

> I looked underneath one. I doubt that it could be done. I can't imagine
> any reason to have two possible sources. When you propane runs out
> unexpectedly, you just light your charcoal the old fashion way.

I guess I didn't make myself as clear as I thought I did. Rather than an
additional fuel source, I meant a replacement fuel source. And while I
would think that with a proper fitting so as to be able to utilize the
hose/fitting on your current 5 lb tank, there is an alternative which
entails replacing your current hose/fitting with one of these (or an
equivalent thereto):

http://tinyurl.com/37pkxl
or
http://www.webergrillschicago.com/do...pter_hose.html