Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Kent is offline

Default Weber Genesis: New vs Old

As current gas grill shoppers know, Weber has replaced the Silver Genesis B
with several new models. The most important change I noticed immediately
is that the new Genesis 310 and 320 have 42,000 BTU burners. As I said
in a post very recently I think the most important way to look at BTU in a
grill
is BTU output per surface area, or BTU per square inch.
Both the new Genesis grills have 85BTU per square inch of cooking surface,
exactly the same as my discontinued Silver Genesis B. The new Spirit 310 has
exactly the same BTU output and surface area as the Silver Genesis B.
As long as all the parts are working, I wouldn't upgrade. I'm not going to.
As I posted awhile back the porcelein coated cast iron grate used with the
flat side up has made all the difference in the world when you're trying to
char the surface of a steak or other meat.

Kent