Posted to rec.food.baking
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default What chocolate to melt?

Melondy ) writes:
> Marge wrote:
>> no, it just saves you the trouble of having to chop chocolate
>>
>>> There's no particular reason to use chips if you're going to melt the chocolate
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> -- Larry

> But the chocolate IS different in chip form. It has things added to it
> to keep it's shape when baking. They aren't as easy to work with when
> melted because they don't have the cocoa butter that hard, block
> chocolates have. That would make a difference in dipping cookies or
> candies.
>
> Melondy

I had to go back and reread the original post, because I thought there
had been a good reason for the chips.

When I was a kid, I had a cookbook aimed at the young, with fun sorts
of simple things you could make. And one entry in there was a means
of easily icing a cake. Take the cake out of the oven, and while it's
still hot or warm (I forget which), you'd sprinkly chocolate chips
over it. The heat of the cake would melt them, and you'd just spread it
around so it was even.

And I thought that was the case here, until I went back and read the
part about melting the chocolate chips separate.

And at that point, I am lost. You don't need to chop up chocolate if
you are melting it, it merely takes a bit longer.

Michael