Wayne Boatwright

Default Almond vs Coconut Macaroons

"JE Anderson" > wrote in
news:%5HMb.72774$JQ1.12281@pd7tw1no:

> Hi all, a question occurred to me as I was reading the St. Macaroon
> thread. I grew up calling a sweet mixture of coconut, sugar, vanilla
> and egg white mounded into a cookie shape and baked/dried in a very
> slow oven a Macaroon. I was only introduced to the almond macaroon
> about 10 years ago.
>
> My question is: Is the coconut macaroon a Canadian or Western
> Canadianism or did others grow up with the same definition of
> macaroon?
>
> Thanks in advance for slaking my curiosity! ;-)
>
> Janet

I also grew up with the same coconut macaroon type that you described, and
was introduced to the crisp almond macaroon years later. Without doing
some research, I don't know the origin of either, however that coconut
macaroon was a kitchen staple in many US homes from early in the last
century through, probably, the 1960s. I still like them.

Wayne