Posted to rec.food.baking
Baking Mad Baking Mad is offline

Default Pizza dough- Type"00" flour, etc...

On Apr 10, 7:16 am, (G Bell) wrote:
> "Baking Mad" > writes:
> >Hello.
> >Anyone try using Type "00" flour for pizza dough, baked in a standard
> >kitchen oven? I've tried King Arthur Flour's "Italian style" flour.
> >It made a very slack dough, which took some getting used to.
> >I don't know whether imported Type "00" would differ much from KA's.

> Use bog standard bread flower as it has slightly more protein than type
> 00 for me. Make sure it's a reasonable wet mix that's very pliable.
>
> >I've been placing the pizza pan directly onto the bottom of a small
> >oven, with decent results. Does using a baking stone placed on the
> >bottom make much of a difference? Sometimes I'll place the tray
> >between the bottom of the oven and a baking stone and slide the pizza
> >onto the stone for a little extra crispy crust bottom.

> Tried something at the weekend: Put a pizza on the top shelf of the oven
> for ten minutes, at 220 Celsius (428 Fahrenheit), then slide the pizza
> off the stone onto the top shelf of the oven for another 5-10 mins, the
> experiment was to get a good crispy bottom on the pizza, which I don't
> get just by cooking on the stone, plus it's too big for the available
> pizza tins with the perforated bottoms. Have to say it worked a treat;
> moist topping well cooked pizza and crispy, well browned, underside.
>
> It was quite a thick base so for a thinner pizza you could cut the above
> times by half or so depending on how good your oven is.
>
> Graham

I've seen pictures where two baking stones are kept apart by a few
bricks inside an oven. I wonder how well this method works for baking
pizza. I'm getting a bit obsessive about making pizza again. I'd
need another stone and a few bricks. Hmmm. Might this be just a
silly waste of money?

I've read that some people mess with their ovens in order to acheive
higher temperatures. My oven goes to a maximum of 500 degrees F. I
wonder how much more I could crank of of that thing before it
explodes.