Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default smoker thermometer found at meijer

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:27:59 -0600, Mike Avery wrote:
>

>> It is not uncommon for a thermometer in the top if the unit to read
>> several hundred degrees hotter than a thermometer at the grill level.
>> It's not the thermometer's fault... it's physic's fault!
>>

> Several *hundred*? I don't think there's that drastic.
>
> The ECB thermometer - or the hole for it - sits about 3" above
> the upper grate. Which is about 1/3rd the distance from the grate
> to the apex of the dome. Which is right about where the center of
> your chicken or pork butt would rest.

Last time I fired up my offset smoker, I noticed the wireless
thermometer was reading about 250 at the grill, while the Big Green Egg
thermometer I put in the top of the smoke chamber was insisting it was
about 500F.

How common this is, I don't know.... but I've regularly observed it.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Programming is like sex: one mistake and you support it for life.