anita kean

Default what is hook cheese ???

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:16:38 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:07:05 GMT, Cymru Llewes >
> wrote:

>>> Don't think so. Even cheddar made here in Norway is orange-yellowish
>>> in color. Do not know what they use for coloring. Should occur on the
>>> declaration, so maybe I'll check tomorrow.

The herb lady's bedstraw is in the madder family, and
produces an orangey red colour.

Entry from a herb book I have, The Complete Book on Herbs and Spices,
by Loewenfeld and Back:

(quote)

Lady's Bedstraw
Botanical name: Galium verum
Family: Rubiaceae

Lady's bedstraw is an unusual plant in that it has the property
of acting like rennet in curdling milk. It was used long ago in Tuscany
to give sheep and goat's cheese a sweeter taste. In Britan it was used in the
making of the famous Cheshire cheese, and said to be the reason for the
superior quality of the cheese.
In the sixteenth century the herb was called 'cheese renning' and the name
Galium comes from the Greek word 'gala' meaning milk.
The English name comes from its use as bedding in former times.
One of the Madder family of plants, lady's bedstraw roots were once used to
procure a red dye.

(end of quote)