Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Many Easter wines

On Apr 9, 10:32�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Apr 9, 9:24?am, "DaleW" > wrote:
>

> > Easter Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I went to her sister's for a
> > big party (she joined at end). Lots of old friends there, ?kids having
> > a ball with Easter egg hunt even though it was unseasonably cold, good
> > food, ping pong. There were a variety of wines, some the host had put
> > out and some that people had brought. Not every wine got opened- I
> > felt it bad manners to open without host's invite when there were
> > several open bottles on table. For me that was a mixed disappointment
> > (1998 La Fleur du Bouard) and relief (a wine from NJ called
> > Almondique: "American white table flavored with almonds, caramel
> > coloring added"). OK, I admit I had a morbid curiosity re the latter.
> > I didn't try every wine that WAS opened, but I did try:

> > 2001 Schmitt ?Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Sp?ese (Rheinhessen)
> > Showing rounder than most 2001s, apple and plum fruit dominate with
> > only a faint mineral note. Pleasant enough. B/B-

> > 2002 Cora Muscat (Penedes)
> > I'll admit I'm not generally a fan of dry Muscat, although there have
> > been a few (Austrian and Alsace) that I've enjoyed. This is a reminder
> > that I'm not generally a fan. Floral nose that reminds me a bit of
> > cheap perfume, grapey on the palate. A little hint of "oak-chippy"
> > vanilla. Low acid, low interest. C/C+

> > 2005 Bailly "Les Loges" Pouilly-Fume
> > Citrus fruit with little notes of catpee/gooseberry, a bit of grass.
> > Good acidity, good ripeness, nice if not exciting. B

> > 2003 Ercavio Tempranillo Roble (Tierra de Castlla)
> > Big ?jammy fruit, very ripe dark berries with a smooth creamy texture.
> > Not much oak evident, this is all about the fruit. I'd probably have
> > guessed a blend of typically Rhone grapes blind, reminds me of a
> > Tardieu-Laurent Rhone though not as oaky. Not my favorite style, but
> > well-done and very popular. B

> > 2004 Campo Viejo ?Crianza
> > Fairly light bodied, all red berries (especially raspberry). Clean, OK
> > sipper, though very short on finish. B-

> > 2002 Marchal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne
> > Lovely cherry and raspberry fruit with a sense of purity, fruit
> > sweetness beautifully balanced by firms acids. Very light tannins
> > remaining. nice finish. This bottle was drained fast, but got one more
> > pour from bottom that I nursed, more earthy/mushroom than on opening.
> > Very very nice for level. B+/A-

> > 1996 Ch. Le Crock (St Estephe)
> > I almost skipped this, having had a few times and found hard and
> > charmless. But this was a pleasant surprise- fruit much more appealing
> > than in past. Black and red currants, an overlay of cigarbox and
> > leather. Not enough density or length to be a great Bordeaux, but as
> > the tannins have integrated a much nicer wine than before. B+

> > Since Betsy was unsure how much food would be left when she got to
> > party, and also felt that Easter needs ham (her sister's family are
> > pesce-vegetarians, and the potluck bringers all knew that), I had put
> [...]

I heard it is owned by the Cuvelier family of L�oville-Poyferr�.
Supposedly there is investment in improvements, although I personally
always liked the Addams family.

I found my scribbles from Easter, left out 2 wines:

1999 Ch. La Roque "Cupa Numismae" Pic St.-Loup
First wine I tasted, and surprised I forgot it. Big impressive wine, a
little bacon/grilled meat over big berry fruit. Tannins perceptible
but round, good finish. This needed some rare beef, but it was a pesce-
vegetarian party. B+/B

2004 2004 Eugen Muller Forster Mariengarten Kabinett
Nose of lemon and flowers, on the palate gauva & mango with a squirt
of citrus. Good acidity, maybe a tad short. B