Posted to rec.food.baking
G Bell G Bell is offline

Default Pizza dough- Type"00" flour, etc...

"Baking Mad" > writes:

>Hello.

>Anyone try using Type "00" flour for pizza dough, baked in a standard
>kitchen oven? I've tried King Arthur Flour's "Italian style" flour.
>It made a very slack dough, which took some getting used to.
>I don't know whether imported Type "00" would differ much from KA's.

Use bog standard bread flower as it has slightly more protein than type
00 for me. Make sure it's a reasonable wet mix that's very pliable.

>I've been placing the pizza pan directly onto the bottom of a small
>oven, with decent results. Does using a baking stone placed on the
>bottom make much of a difference? Sometimes I'll place the tray
>between the bottom of the oven and a baking stone and slide the pizza
>onto the stone for a little extra crispy crust bottom.

Tried something at the weekend: Put a pizza on the top shelf of the oven
for ten minutes, at 220 Celsius (428 Fahrenheit), then slide the pizza
off the stone onto the top shelf of the oven for another 5-10 mins, the
experiment was to get a good crispy bottom on the pizza, which I don't
get just by cooking on the stone, plus it's too big for the available
pizza tins with the perforated bottoms. Have to say it worked a treat;
moist topping well cooked pizza and crispy, well browned, underside.

It was quite a thick base so for a thinner pizza you could cut the above
times by half or so depending on how good your oven is.

Graham