Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent Kent is offline

Default Cook's Illustrated new! way to cook steak

" BOB" > wrote in message
> "Kent" > wrote in message
>
>> That May Cook's Illustrated that came today had
>> an interesting article about steak that I'm going
>> to try. This is for thick 1.5"+ steak only.
>> You roast the steak in the oven at 275F until the
>> internal temp. is 90F. Then you sear it
>> quickly over high heat on a saute pan.
>> The pics show "char rare" steak, with a
>> crispy dark outside and an edge to edge
>> rare interior.
>> You can see this being done on :
>> http://cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp#topOfPage
>>
>> Why couldn't you warm the steak to 90F on the
>> defrost setting of the microwave?
>>
>> Kent

> There is a method that made the rounds on many of the BBQ grill/smoker
> forums about a year or a year and a half ago that's fairly similar. It's
> called the "Hot Tub Steak" or something similar. You put your steak in a
> zip-lok bag, or vacuum sealed bag, put it in the Hot tub (or a pan of hot
> water, etc.) 'til it warms to (whatever) temperature, then you grill it.
>
> I don't care for it, because I like the rare center of my steak to be
> slightly cool when the outside is crusty-charred.
> YMMV
>
> BOB

The author of the Cooks' Illustrated article referred to that. He said the
zip-lock
method fails because too much moisture accumulates on the surface of the
steak.
The steak, at that point, won't brown. When heated in the oven this doesn't
occur.

Kent