Posted to rec.food.cooking
Harriet Neal Harriet Neal is offline

Default Cook's Illustrated new! way to cook steak

> You roast the steak in the oven at 275F until the
> internal temp. is 90F. Then you sear it
> quickly over high heat on a saute pan.
> The pics show "char rare" steak, with a
> crispy dark outside and an edge to edge
> rare interior.
> You can see this being done on :
> http://cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp#topOfPage
>
> Why couldn't you warm the steak to 90F on the
> defrost setting of the microwave?
>
> Kent

If you like rubber steak, then warm it up in the microwave. I usually fast
fry my steaks in the cast iron skillet to build up a good browning on the
outside. Then stick the skillet into the oven that has been pre-heated to
450F, for about 2 minutes.

Harriet & critters