Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default smoker thermometer found at meijer

skeeter wrote:
> Group,
> I have a Brinkman smoker (similar to the Cajun Coooker) with the plain
> "low ideal hot" thermometer on it. I found at meijer a "grill top
> thermometer" which will almost fit into the lid of my smoker. Just a
> little grinding with a stone wheel in my dremel made it fit, and the
> thermometer was like 5-6 bucks. I'm looking forward to see how much
> more accurate it is.

It probably won't be more accurate. If you remember your high school
physics class, heat rises. As a result, a thermometer in the top of a
grill or smoker is in the wrong place. You want your thermometer at the
grill level, where the meat is, registering the cooking temperature.

It is not uncommon for a thermometer in the top if the unit to read
several hundred degrees hotter than a thermometer at the grill level.
It's not the thermometer's fault... it's physic's fault!

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Irony: God gave the tortise a drag factor of 0.03.