Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: Many Easter wines

On Apr 9, 9:24�am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> Easter Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I went to her sister's for a
> big party (she joined at end). Lots of old friends there, *kids having
> a ball with Easter egg hunt even though it was unseasonably cold, good
> food, ping pong. There were a variety of wines, some the host had put
> out and some that people had brought. Not every wine got opened- I
> felt it bad manners to open without host's invite when there were
> several open bottles on table. For me that was a mixed disappointment
> (1998 La Fleur du Bouard) and relief (a wine from NJ called
> Almondique: "American white table flavored with almonds, caramel
> coloring added"). OK, I admit I had a morbid curiosity re the latter.
> I didn't try every wine that WAS opened, but I did try:
>
> 2001 Schmitt *Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spätlese (Rheinhessen)
> Showing rounder than most 2001s, apple and plum fruit dominate with
> only a faint mineral note. Pleasant enough. B/B-
>
> 2002 Cora Muscat (Penedes)
> I'll admit I'm not generally a fan of dry Muscat, although there have
> been a few (Austrian and Alsace) that I've enjoyed. This is a reminder
> that I'm not generally a fan. Floral nose that reminds me a bit of
> cheap perfume, grapey on the palate. A little hint of "oak-chippy"
> vanilla. Low acid, low interest. C/C+
>
> 2005 Bailly "Les Loges" Pouilly-Fume
> Citrus fruit with little notes of catpee/gooseberry, a bit of grass.
> Good acidity, good ripeness, nice if not exciting. B
>
> 2003 Ercavio Tempranillo Roble (Tierra de Castlla)
> Big *jammy fruit, very ripe dark berries with a smooth creamy texture.
> Not much oak evident, this is all about the fruit. I'd probably have
> guessed a blend of typically Rhone grapes blind, reminds me of a
> Tardieu-Laurent Rhone though not as oaky. Not my favorite style, but
> well-done and very popular. B
>
> 2004 Campo Viejo *Crianza
> Fairly light bodied, all red berries (especially raspberry). Clean, OK
> sipper, though very short on finish. B-
>
> 2002 Marchal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne
> Lovely cherry and raspberry fruit with a sense of purity, fruit
> sweetness beautifully balanced by firms acids. Very light tannins
> remaining. nice finish. This bottle was drained fast, but got one more
> pour from bottom that I nursed, more earthy/mushroom than on opening.
> Very very nice for level. B+/A-
>
> 1996 Ch. Le Crock (St Estephe)
> I almost skipped this, having had a few times and found hard and
> charmless. But this was a pleasant surprise- fruit much more appealing
> than in past. Black and red currants, an overlay of cigarbox and
> leather. Not enough density or length to be a great Bordeaux, but as
> the tannins have integrated a much nicer wine than before. B+
>
> Since Betsy was unsure how much food would be left when she got to
> party, and also felt that Easter needs ham (her sister's family are
> pesce-vegetarians, and the potluck bringers all knew that), I had put
> a ham in the oven with timer start. After party we came home, chilled
> [...]

I actually visited Le Crock in 2002. It reminded me of the Addams
Family house as it looked haunted, run down, broken windows with
drapes flying about, old ivy covered most everything. The vineyards
were a bit unkempt and the winery itself was quite small and downright
dirty. There is some connection with Chateau Leoville Poyferre (some
common ownership if I understood their French correctly) as they used
old Poyferre barrels. We tasted the 2000 and the 2001 (from barrel)
and the wines really weren't bad given the price at the time of about
12 Euro. Their in a great neighborhood but the winery needed cleaned
up a bit.