Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Many Easter wines

Easter Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I went to her sister's for a
big party (she joined at end). Lots of old friends there, kids having
a ball with Easter egg hunt even though it was unseasonably cold, good
food, ping pong. There were a variety of wines, some the host had put
out and some that people had brought. Not every wine got opened- I
felt it bad manners to open without host's invite when there were
several open bottles on table. For me that was a mixed disappointment
(1998 La Fleur du Bouard) and relief (a wine from NJ called
Almondique: "American white table flavored with almonds, caramel
coloring added"). OK, I admit I had a morbid curiosity re the latter.
I didn't try every wine that WAS opened, but I did try:

2001 Schmitt Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spätlese (Rheinhessen)
Showing rounder than most 2001s, apple and plum fruit dominate with
only a faint mineral note. Pleasant enough. B/B-

2002 Cora Muscat (Penedes)
I'll admit I'm not generally a fan of dry Muscat, although there have
been a few (Austrian and Alsace) that I've enjoyed. This is a reminder
that I'm not generally a fan. Floral nose that reminds me a bit of
cheap perfume, grapey on the palate. A little hint of "oak-chippy"
vanilla. Low acid, low interest. C/C+

2005 Bailly "Les Loges" Pouilly-Fume
Citrus fruit with little notes of catpee/gooseberry, a bit of grass.
Good acidity, good ripeness, nice if not exciting. B

2003 Ercavio Tempranillo Roble (Tierra de Castlla)
Big jammy fruit, very ripe dark berries with a smooth creamy texture.
Not much oak evident, this is all about the fruit. I'd probably have
guessed a blend of typically Rhone grapes blind, reminds me of a
Tardieu-Laurent Rhone though not as oaky. Not my favorite style, but
well-done and very popular. B

2004 Campo Viejo Crianza
Fairly light bodied, all red berries (especially raspberry). Clean, OK
sipper, though very short on finish. B-

2002 Marchal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne
Lovely cherry and raspberry fruit with a sense of purity, fruit
sweetness beautifully balanced by firms acids. Very light tannins
remaining. nice finish. This bottle was drained fast, but got one more
pour from bottom that I nursed, more earthy/mushroom than on opening.
Very very nice for level. B+/A-

1996 Ch. Le Crock (St Estephe)
I almost skipped this, having had a few times and found hard and
charmless. But this was a pleasant surprise- fruit much more appealing
than in past. Black and red currants, an overlay of cigarbox and
leather. Not enough density or length to be a great Bordeaux, but as
the tannins have integrated a much nicer wine than before. B+

Since Betsy was unsure how much food would be left when she got to
party, and also felt that Easter needs ham (her sister's family are
pesce-vegetarians, and the potluck bringers all knew that), I had put
a ham in the oven with timer start. After party we came home, chilled
out for a while, then I made potato salad and some broccoli. The ham
wine was the 2005 Muri-Gries Lagrein Rosato (Alto Adige). I was a
little hesitant buying this, having found some Muri-Gries wines a bit
more international than my tastes. But this was a pleasant surprise,
big bright strawberry fruit, a bit more gravitas than I expect in a
rose. Good acidity, good length. Worked well with the ham; though this
is maybe a little fuller than what I look for in a summer-by-the-river
sipper, I'll probably get some more. Good qpr at under $10. B/B+