ASmith1946

Default History of Counterculture Food

This may be just a semantic difference. There were certainly food reform
efforts in America before the 1960s and to some extent every reform effort is
countercultural by definition.

But the term "counterculture" was raised to specifically describe a broad
phenomena that began in the '60. It wasn't really a food reform effort, at
least it wasn't like Graham's or Kellogg's previous efforts. It was a political
movement -- with the anti-Vietnam War being the driving force. It certainly had
social and economic dimensions-- the attempt to create a better world through
communal living and the destruction (or replacement) of the capitalist economic
system. Food was just a side order.

As soon as Vietnam War ended, so did the counterculture movement, although
there are indeed remnants still around today.

Recent food fights-- re GMOs and globalization-- do have some similar
characteristcs as did the efforts during the '60s and '70s, which is why I
added them to my original list.

However, I'm tempted now, due to Bob's comments, to just define counterculture
food as what happened during the '60s and 70s.

Many, many thanks to all who have commented.

Andy Smith