Vox Humana

Default Countertop convection oven vs. Microwave/Convection hood

"sid" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi-
>
> I don't have space for a wall oven so am considering either a
> countertop convection oven placed on a shelf over my 30 inch cooktop
> or a microwave/convection/range hood unit of either the Sharp or GE
> JVM1490 variety.
>
> The space borders a 24 inch deep wall on the left side and 13 inch
> deep cabinet on the right side. I realize that the installation
> templates require no more than 13 inch depth on both sides. I assume
> from talking with GE and Sharp that this requirement was in accordance
> with UL ratings but certainly wouldn't want to create a hazard.
>
> I only need the oven for occasional cookies, cake, pizza rewarming--no
> meat, fowl, broil, etc.
>
> I also really don't need the microwave feature, and mostly don't need
> the venting hood exhaust fan feature, and would like to keep it a long
> time.
>
> So, I'd like to have recommendations on what to purchase based on my
> cooking needs?
>
> The Farberware T490C seems to be the best size match but as I am not
> familiar with any of these ovens, I cannot speak from experience. From
> speaking with the Farberware customer service, their oven only needs 2
> inches on the side and 4 inches of top clearance, but the person did
> not know about the back clearance. Could I put it right up against
> drywall?
>
> The Cadco 1/4 size is 18 inch square which I think would cover the
> range too much. Similar depth issues apply to Moffat, Wisco, Equipex,
> Broilking (identical to Cadco?).
>
> What I've been unable to learn is the performance difference, if any,
> between the commercial countertop convection ovens and a
> micro/conv/hood? Is the heating element simililar?
>
> Also, both microhoods, from the specs, seem to be able to accommodate
> a 1/2 size cookie sheet, but only one..not two.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I have a Sharp micro/convention hood. It is a truly great appliance. I
seldom use my JennAir convection oven, except in the rare occasion that I
have to bake something really large. As for placing the OTR unit against
the manufacturer's recommendations, I don't really see how it would be a
problem. The unit is well insulated and the outer cabinet is a dead space
that has air drawn around it to prevent over heating. It never gets hot. I
could see it being a problem if the cabinet over the oven was deeper than
the oven. If you want a table top unit, then I would recommend looking at a
Sharp simply because the one I have has been wonderful and is loaded with
useful features. If you already have a microwave, the new unit would
replace it. Here is a link to Sharp's microwave page.
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...1056,5,00.html