sid

Default Countertop convection oven vs. Microwave/Convection hood

Hi-

I don't have space for a wall oven so am considering either a
countertop convection oven placed on a shelf over my 30 inch cooktop
or a microwave/convection/range hood unit of either the Sharp or GE
JVM1490 variety.

The space borders a 24 inch deep wall on the left side and 13 inch
deep cabinet on the right side. I realize that the installation
templates require no more than 13 inch depth on both sides. I assume
from talking with GE and Sharp that this requirement was in accordance
with UL ratings but certainly wouldn't want to create a hazard.

I only need the oven for occasional cookies, cake, pizza rewarming--no
meat, fowl, broil, etc.

I also really don't need the microwave feature, and mostly don't need
the venting hood exhaust fan feature, and would like to keep it a long
time.

So, I'd like to have recommendations on what to purchase based on my
cooking needs?

The Farberware T490C seems to be the best size match but as I am not
familiar with any of these ovens, I cannot speak from experience. From
speaking with the Farberware customer service, their oven only needs 2
inches on the side and 4 inches of top clearance, but the person did
not know about the back clearance. Could I put it right up against
drywall?

The Cadco 1/4 size is 18 inch square which I think would cover the
range too much. Similar depth issues apply to Moffat, Wisco, Equipex,
Broilking (identical to Cadco?).

What I've been unable to learn is the performance difference, if any,
between the commercial countertop convection ovens and a
micro/conv/hood? Is the heating element simililar?

Also, both microhoods, from the specs, seem to be able to accommodate
a 1/2 size cookie sheet, but only one..not two.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks