Jim Yanik

Default Ceramic (glass) cooktops--Which pots can be used?

Mary Shafer > wrote in
:

> On 18 May 2004 06:36:42 -0700, (Lew) wrote:
>
>> Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience on glass
>> cooktops. They look really great, but they seem to have quite a few
>> more problems and precautions than do the (ugly old) bare coil
>> elements, and, especially, gas. It seems that we could adjust our
>> cooking procedures to the glass cooktop, but I'm calling a plumber to
>> find out how much a gas supply line to the kitchen will cost. (We have
>> natural gas heat and hot water.)

> I really prefer gas, because you can look at the flame and know
> whether it's right or not. Plus, any change you make is almost
> instant. I find cooking on electric burners very frustrating, but I'm
> assured by those who have changed over that it can be learned fairly
> quickly.
>
> If you decide to get a gas cooktop, be sure to consider the ones that
> have different sized burners. The cooktop in my new house, a 36-in.
> gas GE cooktop with five burners, has three burner sizes. These are
> simmer (small), regular, and extra hot (large). I haven't unpacked
> the manual, so I can't tell you the BTUs of each, but I can tell you
> the large burner boils water for pasta very quickly and the small
> burners do a good job simmering the sauce.
>
> There's one really annoying thing about the GE, though. It has the
> piezo pilot lights and the dial positions for using them are marked
> "LITE", not "LIGHT". This peeves me every time I see it, as I think
> it cheapens my cooktop.
>
> Mary

I wonder why they don't make a gas cooktop with burners that have more than
one burner ring? If you had a couple of burners with 2-3 progressively
larger concentric burner rings,you could have more flexibility as to size
of pot that can be used on each position.Probably cost,although I think for
a premium stove,the extra cost would not be that great.

Comments welcome,but be nice. :-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net