Mary Shafer

Default Ceramic (glass) cooktops--Which pots can be used?

On 18 May 2004 06:36:42 -0700, (Lew) wrote:

> Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience on glass
> cooktops. They look really great, but they seem to have quite a few
> more problems and precautions than do the (ugly old) bare coil
> elements, and, especially, gas. It seems that we could adjust our
> cooking procedures to the glass cooktop, but I'm calling a plumber to
> find out how much a gas supply line to the kitchen will cost. (We have
> natural gas heat and hot water.)

I really prefer gas, because you can look at the flame and know
whether it's right or not. Plus, any change you make is almost
instant. I find cooking on electric burners very frustrating, but I'm
assured by those who have changed over that it can be learned fairly
quickly.

If you decide to get a gas cooktop, be sure to consider the ones that
have different sized burners. The cooktop in my new house, a 36-in.
gas GE cooktop with five burners, has three burner sizes. These are
simmer (small), regular, and extra hot (large). I haven't unpacked
the manual, so I can't tell you the BTUs of each, but I can tell you
the large burner boils water for pasta very quickly and the small
burners do a good job simmering the sauce.

There's one really annoying thing about the GE, though. It has the
piezo pilot lights and the dial positions for using them are marked
"LITE", not "LIGHT". This peeves me every time I see it, as I think
it cheapens my cooktop.

Mary