pltrgyst

Default Ceramic (glass) cooktops--Which pots can be used?

On 18 May 2004 06:36:42 -0700, (Lew) wrote:

>Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience on glass
>cooktops. They look really great, but they seem to have quite a few
>more problems and precautions than do the (ugly old) bare coil
>elements, and, especially, gas. It seems that we could adjust our
>cooking procedures to the glass cooktop, but I'm calling a plumber to
>find out how much a gas supply line to the kitchen will cost. (We have
>natural gas heat and hot water.)

The look is a minor consideration comapared to the smoothtop's performance
advantages. There is no need to adapt your cooking procedures if you're coming
from electric cooktops, except to adjust for quicker response when you change
the heat setting.

And you may find, as some of us have, that despite its still quicker response,
gas is a disappointment, and is not worthwhile. We had the opportunity to have
gas run in last year as part of a group in our townhouses, and declined.

-- Larry